A micro:bit Curriculum
Code Savvy offers an introductory micro:bit and design thinking curriculum called the Byte-Sized Challenge. This curriculum teaches students how to create a solution to a community need using the micro:bit.
Byte Sized Challenge Curriculum Pilot Participant
What does this curriculum include?
Once you sign up for the Code Savvy Byte-Sized Challenge Curriculum, you receive:
- Access to the Curriculum
- A set of 10 micro:bits
- Industry Mentors
The teacher who is leading the Byte-Sized Challenge will lead the lessons. The mentors provided by Code Savvy will play a support role.
The Byte Sized Challenge teaches key computer science skills, design thinking, through hands-on exploration with the micro:bit It includes:
- 16 student facing slide decks with included lesson plans that are aligned to CSTA Standards.
- Was designed for teachers who have no prior experience with the micro:bit or Computer Science.
- Is a bilingual curriculum (currently offered in English and Spanish).
- This curriculum was designed for 5th-8th grade students, but can be differentiated to reach students as young as 4th grade and old as 10 grade.
By the end of the unit, students will be able to…
- Design and create several programs using the micro:bit.
- Explore computer concepts of remixing, debugging, input, output, variables and conditionals.
- Explore design thinking concepts of brainstorming, empathizing, prototyping, and testing.
- Collaborate on a team to create a project with the micro:bit that addresses a Global Goal.
- Practice giving and receiving feedback and refining their project based on feedback.
- Present their project and process to their peers in a final project showcase.
2023-2024 School Year
Access the Curriculum
- Attend a 30 minute virtual kick-off call with Code Savvy (scheduled based on your availability)
- Share regular feedback with Code Savvy during the implementation of the curriculum
- Share photos, quotes, and student work with Code Savvy
- Attend a one hour virtual feedback session with other Byte-Sized Challenge Educators in May
2024-2025 School Year and Beyond
During the 2024-2025 school year and beyond, the Byte-Sized Challenge will be available to everyone! It will be a paid curriculum that your district can purchase. We will offer school discounts if you are a part of the Code Savvy Educator Community.
If you are interested in accessing the curriculum for the 2024-2025 school year, please fill out the interest form. We will be in touch with you soon!
Industry Mentors that are interested in signing up to work with students in the schools can sign up now!